1998"ranis.online" starts by the official web-site of village town.
1990-94 Renovation continues by the village town. In 1994 the Foundation for Thuringian Castles and Gardens becomes the new owner of the castle.
1956 The Restaurant and museum are reopened by the municipality of Ranis.
1946 The castle serves as a shelter for transients and refugees.
1945 The castle becomes the property of the east sector government, represented by the USSR as a member of the WWII allies. It is used as accommodation for soldiers of Soviet Army. The stock of the museum is looted.
1942 Dietrich and August von Breitenbuch sell the castle to the German Red Cross.
1928 Dietrich von Breitenbuch founds a restaurant with guest rooms at Ranis Castle. The castle becomes accessible to the public. As a special attraction Dietrich keeps two bears.
1925 Establishment of the "Heimatforschende Vereinigung Burg Ranis" (=Local History Society). The Castle Museum is set up by Dietrich von Breitenbuch.
1880 The lower moat is partly filled; the embarkments are partially landscaped.
1868 After a storm had heavily damaged the roof, the demolition of the western castle building, including the chapel of the castle, is being started. During the demolition, the skeleton of an infant wearing a shirt and several other items were discovered. From this a legend telling of a child sacrified to a mideaval building was created.
1856 The district administrator of the Prussian district of Ziegenrück, Ludwig Franz von Breitenbauch, made the decision to move the district administration office to Ranis Castle. Ranis was the center of district administration until 1945.
1840 For economic reason, the farm is moved from the castle to "Ludwigshof". The manor of this estate, built by Ludwig Franz von Breitenbauch, shows influences of italian architecture. Farm buildings on the castle yard are being demolished.
1815 Vienna Congress. The saxon town Ranis becomes Prussian. The Prussian district Ziegenrück is being formed. Members of the von Breitenbuch family become district administrators and serve for several terms.
1705 The Castle, now owned by Christoph Adam v. Breitenbauch, looses it's military importance; cannons were melted.
1646 A large fire destroys all the buildings around the backyard of the castle. The reconstruction including some structural modifications takes two years.
1640 The 30-years-war rages heavily in central europe. Soldiers of a large army camp near Saalfeld plunder and torment the area. Several roofs were set on fire at Ranis, too. The soldiers grimmly threaten the public, telling them they want to wash their hands in blood. But in the end, they didn't manage to enter the town. One of the reasons for this might have been a protection charter obtained by Melchior von Breitenbauch from the swedish general Thorstensen. So Ranis Castle became a refuge for many noble neighbors and its residents.
1612 A long lasting controversy among the von Breitenbuch clan and the von Brandenstein clan concerning the use of the tower dungeon at Ranis Castle is ended by order of the court.
1596 Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Saxonia obligates Hans Christoph von Breitenbauch to follow him in war times with tree mounted knights.
1590 A new local law for Ranis and its surroundings is laid down by Melchior von Breitenbauch and the von Brandenstein clan.
1571 The von Brandenstein clan sells most parts of its fief Ranis to the noble Melchior von Breitenbauch. The payment is 40300 Gulden.
1486 German Emperor Friedrich III. confirms Heinrich's possession and raises him and his descendants to the Reichsfreiherrenstand (=baron, directly responsible to the empire).
1475 Heinrich von Brandenstein acquires the right from Rome to have a mess priest and a confessor for his castle chapel. After the reformation this privilege has been abolished.
1463 Wilhelm III., the Duke of Thuringia marries Katharina, the sister of Heinrich von Brandenstein. Wilhelm and Katharina move to Weimar, the capital of the dukedom. Heinrich gets Ranis Castle and the town as a present from him.
1445 Wilhelm III. becomes the Duke of Thuringia. He lives at Ranis. Tournaments and celebrations take place.
1436 As we see in the documents Ranis Castle is a strong bastion at that time. Especially the number of firearms (tree canons and 16 guns) is remarkable (first firearms came approximately 1330-1350 to germany).
1389 Günther XXVIII. Count of Schwarzburg sells his fief Ranis to the count of Meissen. Though he lives at Ranis until he dies in 1418.
1381 The oldest document, mentioning Ranis as a town, dates to this year.
1342 For almost half a year Albrecht, the duke of Mecklenburg and his attendants are the prisoners of count Günther XXI. von Schwarzburg. Günther uses his fortress Ranis as a jail for them.
1208 German king Otto IV. pawns Ranis to the counts Heinrich and Günther von Schwarzburg. The Castle and its surroundings remain for more than 200 years as the property of the von Schwarzburg clan, because Otto doesn't redeem the pawn.
During this time, the castle is substantially extended. Ranis receives the right to call itself a town.
1204 To get Ranis back german king Philipp starts a war against Hermann I. Count of Thuringia. The reason for this conflict was the unfaithfulness of Hermann who changed frontiers after he got Ranis from Phillipp. Although this confrontation ended successfully for Phillipp, finally Otto IV. was the winner. He became the german king, when Philipp was murdered in 1208.
1199 Hermann I. Count of Thuringia gets the "castrum ranis" from the german king Philipp because he had supported him against Otto IV.
1194 Konrad von Ranis participates when the german emperor Kaiser Heinrich VI.visits Saalfeld (a town close to Ranis).
1084 Ranis Castle is mentioned for the first time in a document. In this document german emperor Heinrich IV. donates the "castrum ranis" to Wiprecht von Groitzsch. Later on Wipprecht became Count of Meissen.
before 1000 We have no written document showing us, that there has been a settlement at Ranis or the castle area before 1000 a/c. But several findings point into this direction. Most of them are found in the "Ilsenhöhle"just under the gate of the Castle Ranis.